This calculator is used to calculate the heat transfer area required for a heat exchanger. The calculator can be used for co-current, counter-current or mixed flow heat exchangers. Heat exchanger duty, cold stream flow rate and mean temperature difference are also determined by the calculator.
[spoiler show=”Show Instructions” hide=”Hide Instructions”]
The calculator determines the heat transfer area required for a heat exchanger, the heat exchanger duty, the cold stream flow rate and the mean temperature difference including correction factors.
The calculator is applicable for co-current, counter-current and mixed flow heat exchangers with no phase change in either the hot stream or cold stream where the stream heat capacities can be taken as constant through the exchanger.
- Enter the hot stream flow rate
- Enter the hot stream inlet and outlet temperatures
- Enter the cold stream inlet and outlet temperatures
- Enter the hot fluid and cold fluid specific heat capacities
- Enter the overall heat transfer coefficient (click here for typical overall heat transfer coefficient values)
- Select the heat exchanger type:
- Click the “Calculate” button
- The calculator will determine the heat transfer area required for the heat exchanger
- The calculator will also determine the heat exchanger duty, cold stream flow rate and mean temperature difference
[iframe http://www.blackmonk.co.uk/calculations/heatexcalc.aspx 595 800]